Now that Thanksgiving has passed, many of us feel as though it is OK to completely immerse ourselves in the holiday season. Somewhere between our everyday schedules, the chaos of shopping, and the gatherings with family and friends, we yearn to find time to make this time of year as magical as can be for our kids.
While it is tiring, no feeling comes close to watching the awe in our children’s eyes as they experience the many wonders of the Christmas season.
Thankfully, there are plenty of exciting things to do before the big day. There are countless opportunities for the entire family to get out and enjoy themselves together. Let’s start with this weekend:
Friday, December 2
• Old Fashioned Babylon Village Christmas Night of Shopping featuring Santa Claus, a carousel, and an ice-skating rink from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• A Christmas Carol opens at the Long Island Ballet Center, Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. Tickets are available online.
Saturday, December 3
• Port Jefferson Theater Three’s ‘Barnaby Saves Christmas’ is having its opening weekend. Tickets are available through the Theater’s website at theaterthreetickets.com. Stick around afterwards for the 26th Annual Charles Dickens Festival in Port Jeff!
• Holiday Light Spectacular at the Holtsville Wildlife and Ecology Center opens from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. This event features festive displays and holiday lights in an indoor walk-through experience. Pictures with Santa will be available as well. Tickets must be purchased in advance through the Town of Brookhaven’s website.
• Holiday Tree Lighting at the Shopped at East Wind in Wading River from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. This event will have a live DJ and entertainment, the opportunity to ride on Rudolph on the shoppe’s carousel, Santa’s mailbox for children to leave their letters, and much more.
Sunday, December 4
Brunch/Breakfast with Santa Opportunities:
• The LI Aquarium in Riverhead
• The Garden Grill in Smithtown
• Applebee’s in East Islip hosted by Fiercely Leading Youth Inc. – who will also be collecting unwrapped toys and clothes for children in need on Long Island.
There are many holiday drive-thru light shows available as well.
• The Riverhead Holiday Light Show at Splish Splash Water Park
• Jones Beach Magic of Lights Drive Thru Show
• Girl Scouts of Suffolk County Holiday Light Show at Smith Point County Park
Additional information for all events listed can be found online.